To view the positions below, expand the Job Description by clicking the ‘+’ sign.
To contact our employment department, please email employment@PacificSummitEnergy.com
Develop, negotiate and execute power transactions such as ;
Physical / financial power sales in ERCOT, CAISO and/or PJM with wholesales market participants like municipals, cooperatives, retailers, and/or end-users.
Physical / financial power offtake deals with new development projects and existing power plants in ERCOT, CAISO or PJM.
Originate, evaluate and structure transactions with such counterparties to maximize profit.
Support internal departments like market risk management, credit, accounting, legal or others in order to materialize the transactions as mentioned above.
Support analysis of the power market trends including regulatory changes, quantitative data for the benefit of the power origination and trading activity.
Produce documentation in a timely and accurate manner that will provide deal entries, accounting and invoice and payables support. Maintain records consistent with Company internal rules and policy.
You will maintain your office and conduct your responsibilities at the Company’s office located in the Woodlands, Texas. You will perform reasonable travel as required by your employment duties. You will carry out your responsibilities in accordance with business principles and strategies approved by the Company.
You will serve the Company exclusively. You will devote your full attention, skills and ability to your responsibilities as Power Originater. You will not become involved in or engage in any other business, enterprise or organization as an employee, officer or director without prior approval of the President or Senior Vice President.
Actual prior experience in the energy industry in power origination with records of closing short/long-term power sales or offtake agreements and building good relationships
Good at structuring the transactions by utilizing various derivative tools.
Knowledge of energy market dynamics and the ability to stay current with changing technologies, regulations and trends influencing the continued adoption of renewable energy
Good to work with various commercial and corporate departments.
Self motivated, driven individual with high standards focused on results
Bachelor’s degree, or related experience
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate profit by actively trading electricity.
- Analyze risks associated with cash and term transmission congestions through CRR (Congestion Revenue Right) auctions and PTP (Point-to-Point) trading
- Identify opportunities for speculative CRR and DAM (Day-Ahead-Market) PTP trades by assessing the performance of the electric nodes in the near- and long-term utilizing Power World and UPLAN
- Employ UPLAN to identify congestion patterns, potential trading strategies and short/long term power (CAISO – California Independent System Operator) market views
- Closely monitor CAISO meetings and remain abreast of regulatory changes
- Maintain expertise in coding to make inferences from large data sets and aid in work process improvement/ automation projects
- Work closely with the fundamental and regulatory teams to contribute to market view formulation to stay ahead of market dynamics shift in CAISO power market and understand the impact in pricing (stack model)
- Contribute to and ensure alignment with company overall goals and strategies
- Must work at our The Woodlands, TX office – Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Bachelor of science in electrical engineering, or related or equivalent
Alternate acceptable degrees:
- 2 years exp. in energy market analysis
- 2 yrs. experience in CAISO congestion market
- Expertise in SQL database querying
- Proficiency in Python, R, or other advanced programming language
- Proficiency in UPLAN for CAISO grid modeling
- Demonstrated abilities with Power World Python automation simulator for power flow analysis
At Pacific Summit Energy, we optimize limited natural resources in a dynamic global market while acting with integrity and devotion to our customers, employees, and shareholders. PSE is the North American energy marketing and trading affiliate of Sumitomo Corporation, a global Japanese enterprise whose origin dates back more than 400 years. Combining both the financial resources of Sumitomo with our experienced team of energy specialists, our vision is to have regional and global influence through the growth of mutually beneficial relationships and evolving energy specialization in a sustainable and environmentally friendly manner. More information is available at www.pacificsummitenergy.com.
This position is for a Natural Gas Scheduler based in our The Woodlands, Texas office. We are looking for great talent and have flexibility on the level of the position based upon the experience you bring.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Proficient understanding of US natural gas flow and trading/nomination deadlines.
- Prior experience with the scheduling of pool, transport, and imbalances on multiple inter & intrastate pipelines in the Gulf and Midcontinent regions.
- Maintain good relationships with other counterparty schedulers and pipeline representatives.
- Nominate & confirm flow of all natural gas purchases and sales in a timely manner.
- Excellent communication with traders/originators regarding positions, flows, cuts, etc. – including immediate transparency of mistakes/issues & possible solutions.
- Become proficient in the use of PSE’s internal ETRM and all regional pipeline EBB systems.
- Scrape active pipeline EBBs daily for open transportation, operational notices, and maintenance schedules and provide to trading.
- Maintain current system rates and fees in PSE’s internal system & all excel scheduling spreadsheets.
- Assist trading/origination with bidding on transportation, imbalance flattening, and accounting reconciliation as needed
- Work well in a team environment – willingness to cross-train & take on additional tasks for the betterment of the team
- In-office Tue-Thu with remote capability Mon & Fri
- Required after hours & weekend on-call responsibilities on a scheduled rotational basis with the rest of the team.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- 3+ years of related industry experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, & Teams
Additional Knowledge and Skills
- Exceptional communication skills
- Strong analytical and detail-oriented skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure in a heavy deadline-oriented environment